Search: Keyword:
District  
Contact:
Tracy Woods Phone Icon 874-1655 Email Icon Email
  Fax Phone Icon 874-1656

Library

Meadowview Library/Media-Center

Welcome To Meadowview Library
Welcome To Meadowview Library

Welcome To Meadowview Library!

The library is open every morning at 7:30 a.m. for book check-out/in, research, and for taking AR quizzes.

We love books at Meadowview and reading is a top priority. The Accelerated Reading program is used to motivate students to read. Teachers encourage all students to reach their reading goal for each nine weeks:

      Grade1: Starting second semester - students advance from earning 5 points to 10 points by the end of the year

                  Kindergartners: 5 points each nine weeks

                  Grade 1: 8 points each nine weeks                  

                Grade 2: 10 points each nine weeks

                Grade 3: 12 points each nine weeks

                Grade 4: 18 points each nine weeks

                Grade 5: 20 points each nine weeks

Points earned count as a project grade in reading and count as 15% of the reading grade for each 9 weeks grading period. In addition, a book report on one of the books read will count as part of the project grade and will also count 15% of the total reading grade per nine weeks. (Points + book report = 30% of reading grade per nine weeks). Teachers will send home information each nine weeks explaining the book report format.

The library is open every morning at 7:30 a.m. - 7:55 a.m. for students to check out books as well as take AR quizzes. Students may also check out books every afternoon from 3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. and during their weekly scheduled library times.

 

"A house without books is like a room without windows. No man has a right to bring up children without surrounding them with books… Children learn to read being in the presence of books."

Horace Mann

 

Meadowview Library/Media Center

 At Meadowview we love to read and being able to read on grade level is our goal. The Accelerated Reader program helps our students reach that goal. Students take a test known as the STAR Reading test to determine there reading level. When students come to the library they are encouraged to check out books that are on their level. We take great pride in our book collection here at Meadowview. It is important to provide the students with a variety of reading materials that will spark their interests.

Each 9 weeks students are given a reading goal to reach. At the end of each nine weeks we hold a “Reading Rally” where the top three readers from the classroom may select a book or prize from the Library’s gift chest. Top readers are also honored during the lunch hours with special seating and with a special cake. We are pleased to announce that Pizza Hut has formed a partnership with Meadowview Elementary in order to reward students for their reading achievement. Students are awarded a coupon certificate for a personal pan pizza.


The Library Media Center supports the Alabama State Course of Study, the basis of our school curriculum program and its publication Alabama's Library Media Handbook for the 21st Century Learner, as well as Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Media Programs, published by the American Association of School Librarians and the American Library Association. In addition, the Library Media Center endorses the literacy principles of the 2008 Standards of the 21st Century Learner of the American Association of School Librarians.

Finally, we have two fund-raisers each year, a Book Fair during the fall semester and another Book Fair during the spring semester. These are fabulous fund-raisers for our Media Center. We also host “Family Night” during our Book Fair to encourage reading and to help families foster the skills, attitudes, and behaviors that support children’s literacy development. During the “Family Night”, adult family members gain a deeper understanding of the important role they play as reading role models. With the book fair profit, we purchase items for our media center such as, books, gifts, CD’s, DVD’s and lots of other materials. So your support of our book fairs is greatly appreciated. Be looking for some information regarding our fall fair around the end of November & March each year.


Tracy Woods, Library Media Specialist
Meadowview Elementary School
1816 Old Orrville Road
Selma, Alabama 36701
Phone 334-874-1655
FAX 334-874-1656

Don't forget: Home Connect - AR info can now be accessed from home by logging on at: https://Hosted79.renlearn.com/79951/HomeConnect/Login.aspx Ask your child for his/her user name and password. Quizzes may NOT be taken from home.